The Birthplace

Built in 1756 and renovated in 2000, the Birthplace is nicely furnished for conferences.

The Birthplace was originally the plantation office of Nathaniel Venable at his home, Slate Hill, which stood about three miles south of Hampden-Sydney. It was in this office that final plans for the opening of the College were made.

In 1944 the owners of Slate Hill gave the office building to Hampden-Sydney, and it was moved to the present location.